What is Public Good to You

If you’re inside the LXDAO community on a regular basis, you may have heard the term public goods
I’ve been thinking about this for a while now, and after reading, studying, and discussing it in my circle, my definition of a public good has changed significantly

What is a public good?

Non-competitive and non-exclusive goods are public goods
Non-competitive: a product or service whose consumption by an individual or group does not affect the surplus supply of others
Non-exclusive: a product or service that cannot be excluded from use by a specific individual or group of individuals

Personally, I might prefer to define a public good this way: a good that is not privately produced, purchased, or sold; if you want to provide it to someone, then you have to provide it to anyone, whether it’s a product or a service
Also, I think that public goods should be paid for by the entire collective, otherwise they are not sustainable

Streetlights, roads, and public restrooms are public goods, as is a public parking lot, which can be used by anyone who wants to use it.
Likewise, I think knowledge is a public good, anyone can learn knowledge, the difference is just how you use it.

I would like to start a discussion on what you think a public good looks like, it would be helpful to any of us

1 Like

I want to look at public goods from my intuition. Public means everyone. Public good means bring something good to everyone, include good to the one who delievers public good.

So in my point of view, public good is inherently sustainable, it should be, of course we knew actually it’s not sustainable in many cases.

So here I personally take this term from a broader way, not just in economic terms. Smile is a classic example of public good. It benefit and empower everyone, include the one who delivers it. But it’s totally free. it has value, although not in an economic way.

But of course I am talking about it from a personal way, not consider it in the context of organization or economics. Just want to share with you and look forward to seeing what you think about it.

1 Like