Normally a few buckets ppl per month, most of developers and projects get nearly nothing.
Some popular examples:
- Sponsor @sindresorhus on GitHub Sponsors · GitHub
- Sponsor @isaacs on GitHub Sponsors · GitHub
- react-spring - Open Collective
- Preact - Open Collective
- Sponsor @preactjs on GitHub Sponsors · GitHub
We could initiate a Nouns style DAO for supporting these projects, let’s assume the name is OS-Nouns:
- Those passionate about funding open-source projects can bid on an OS-Nouns NFT daily.
- We accepting donations to the DAO treasury.
- Each month, we will evaluate the open-source projects and determine the budgets available for funding these projects in fiat currency.
- OS-Nouns NFT holders can vote for the open-source projects they wish to see funded. Additionally, we will provide expert reviews that give some basic information about the projects, such as their influence, development status, and code quality.
- For sustainability, the runway is consistently set at two years. This means that the budget available for funding an open-source project is the total treasury divided by 24, converted into fiat (since the Web2 sponsor platforms currently only accept fiat).
Why doing this:
- Open-source developers deserve this support!
- It’s a fun way to engage with Nouns and a novel approach to funding open-source projects.
- It aligns with LXDAO’s mission of supporting Public Goods and open-source projects.
- It helps build connections with Web2 developers while introducing them to the beautiful aspects of Web3, which is not merely filled with scams. Might onboarding some of them into Web3
- It cultivates a positive influence within the developer community, akin to Airbnb https://opencollective.com/airbnb.